That’s right, after a slightly challenging approval process, we are approved for GOOGLE APPS FOR EDUCATION! We are super excited to share this with students, staff, board and you . . . our FAMILIES.
We are piloting the Google suite with our staff and Grade 7/8/9 IN-THE-BOX plus our Support Grade 10 students at this time.
Google App’s educational domain accounts are more than email accounts they’re a collection of collaborative productivity tools. Phoenix has enabled all core app’s and many add on’s:
- Gmail – Email with Google-powered search, 30GB of storage, offline support, custom email addresses, and much more.
- Calendar – Easily schedule meetings at times that work for everyone, get meeting reminders, and share calendars.
- Drive – Google Drive allows you to store your files in the cloud, share them, and have access to them from anywhere.
- Docs – Create, share and work on documents with your whole team in real-time.
- Sheets – Manage spreadsheet data faster with click-to-edit charts and discussion style comments.
- Slides – Create presentations together, embed videos, and never press save again.
- Groups – internal and external discussions
- Classroom – simple LMS to help manage assignment workflow
Google is a cloud based technology that requires users to have an up to date browser. Google Chrome is the best browser to use but most other browsers will work. Mobile devices also have custom app’s that enhance the user interface.
Accounts & Passwords
User accounts are created by the school and moved into school organizations with the correct services turned on. We are piloting the roll out with Grade 7/8/9 in-a-box students and Supported grade 10 kids. at this time.
Security & Privacy Information
Google accounts created by Phoenix for staff and students are housed inside an educational Google App’s domain – meaning these accounts are password protected and encrypted. Globally, Phoenix controls user permissions for each service, creates and manages filters and policies for email, and maintains sub-organizations with specific services (i.e. Google docs, Google Sites, e-mail, etc.). Phoenix also has access to archiving, usage logs, user reports and has the ability to remove/suspend accounts. This functionality helps us educate students on “appropriate behaviour” in an online environment. All accounts are encrypted with domain encryption and have data mining services turned off. All accounts are created and stored in individual school sub-domains that have customize service settings as determined by school admin teams. learn more
- ResponsibleUseandOngoingConsentAgreement must be signed and collected at the school.
- Media Smart/Digital Literacy info and sites will be sent out to parents to review with students.
DIana Stinn, Google Administrator