Recently Alberta Education and our new minister released the guidelines for creating learning environments that respect diverse sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expression. Included in the guide was a list of best practices – PDF
So do we stack up?
Best Practices – Summary
- Providing supports that respond to a student’s individual needs. YES – WE DO!
- Respecting an individual’s right to self-identification. YES – WE DO!
- Maintaining school records in a way that respects privacy and confidentiality. YES – WE DO!
- Ensuring dress codes respect an individual’s gender identity and gender expression. YES – WE DO! (We don’t have a dress code other than clothes are required!)
- Minimizing gender-segregated activities. YES – WE DO!
- Enabling students with diverse sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions to have full, safe and equitable participation in curricular and extra-curricular activities. YES – WE DO!
- Providing safe access to washroom and change-room facilities. YES – WE DO!
- Providing professional learning opportunities that build the capacity of staff to understand and support diverse sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions. (We have not had any specific PD on this yet.)
- Using a comprehensive whole-school approach to promote healthy relationships and prevent and respond to bullying behaviour. YES – WE DO!
- Ensuring students have the understanding, skills and opportunities to contribute to welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environments that respect diversity and nurture a sense of belonging and a positive sense of self. YES – WE DO!
- Ensuring all families are welcomed and supported as valued members of the school community. YES – WE DO!
- Ensuring that school staff have work environments where they are protected from discrimination based on their sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions. YES – WE DO!
Congratulations, Phoenix! You rock! 11/12 – You have succeeded in creating a safe and caring environment for all staff, students and families!