Dear Phoenix Families,
Student attendance onsite at Phoenix is now prohibited as per the Chief Medical Officer’s decision. Please see the email below for details.
Key information provided at the Chief Medical Officer’s update today:
- Student attendance at K to 12 schools is prohibited and in-person post-secondary classes are cancelled.
- All licensed child care facilities, out-of-school care programs and preschool programs are closed indefinitely.
Additional information regarding the decision to cancel classes:
- Every K-12 student will receive a final mark and students will progress to their next grade level next year. Provincial assessments, such as provincial achievement tests, will be cancelled. At this time, diploma exams essential for post-secondary acceptance will continue. Every student who is eligible to graduate from Grade 12 this year will graduate.
- We also know that not every question has an answer today. The Minister’s office, Alberta Education, AISCA and the other educational partners will be working to define next steps, but this may take a few days. It is important that the education system work in parallel and we will be working hard to ensure all of you get timely information as further details are determined.
- In the meantime we will be using the next few days to plan what access to instruction may look like outside of the school context and that a more comprehensive plan will be developed in the next few days. Please make sure you are logging into schoology if you are a BLENDED student.
- The government’s decision is that classes are suspended indefinitely, but schools will remain open. Each independent school will need to determine the best operating procedures for their staff. This could include working on site or at home.
- Phoenix will update schools frequently in the coming week as further planning occurs.